If you happen to love design, you would possibly agree with me once I say that wrapping presents are one thing of an artwork kind—the proper non permanent canvas on which to play with no matter colours, shapes, and textures occur to be inspiring you at that specific second. The kicker? There’s one thing of a science to this artwork of wrap a gift, and within the phrases of Pablo Picasso, “You must study the principles like a professional, so you’ll be able to break them like an artist.”
So, earlier than you go off shopping for each wrapping paper and ribbon within the retailer, let’s return to fundamentals, we could? Scroll down for the step-by-step information to wrapping a gift completely.
When it comes to gift wrapping, having a large flat workspace is super helpful. The work table in our new craft room makes it easy to gather all our supplies, and still have plenty of room to unroll a large roll of wrapping paper.
The single most important factor in neatly wrapping a present is starting with a correctly sized cut piece of wrapping paper. This is the hardest part to do (and the hardest part to explain!) so read carefully.
10 steps to perfectly wrap a present:
1. Unroll your wrapping paper face-down, and place your gift on top of it. If your gift is a rectangle, align the longer sides of the box to be parallel to the end of the roll. Fold the end of the paper up and over the gift until it fully wraps the box. Mark where the end meets the wrapping paper, and add on 1 inch. This indicates the width of your paper.
2. Cut along the mark from bottom to top. We love using Sugar Paper wrapping paper from Goal as a result of it has a grid on the again.
You must now have a bit of wrapping paper that’s huge sufficient to wrap fully throughout your present however is simply too lengthy.
3. Make sure the box is still in place. Then, fold the top edge of the wrapping paper up to measure just over halfway up the side of the box. For example, if your box is 6 inches tall, you want the paper to measure around 3.5 inches. Do the same for the bottom edge of the box, and cut.
4. You should now have a piece of wrapping paper that’s perfectly sized to wrapping your gift box. From left to right, the paper should wrap all the way across the box. From top to bottom, the paper should come halfway up the sides of the box.
5. Wrap the left and right sides of the paper up and over the box to meet in the middle. Pull the paper taught, and secure in place with tape.
6. On the top open end, crease the paper over the corner as pictured and fold over. Tape this down onto the box for good measure.
7. Again, crease the paper as pictured.
8. Fold the two creased ends in as pictured. Fold the bottom flap up and crease firmly, then tape in place.
9. Repeat on the opposite end. Then take a step back to marvel at your picture-perfect gift wrapping job!
10. Add the ribbon or bow of your choosing.
Everything You Need to Wrap the Perfect Present
Let the gift wrapping begin! I rounded up all the best scissors, ribbons, paper, tissue, bows, and more to help you wrap a present that’ll look beautiful under any tree.