These vegan lemon bars have a easy shortbread crust and a tangy-sweet lemon layer topped with a dusting of powdered sugar. This gorgeous spring and summer time dessert is fast and straightforward to make. They want simply 45 minutes of lively cooking time (plus time to sit back).
A typical non-vegan lemon bar recipe makes use of eggs to thicken and color the lemon layer. On this vegan model, cornstarch thickens and units the filling and a contact of turmeric provides the lemon yellow color.
A little bit of coconut milk within the lemon layer rounds out the flavour and makes the filling an opaque, creamy yellow. It offsets turmeric’s barely greenish-yellow color and cornstarch’s translucency as a thickener. The bars find yourself wanting like lemon bars (that occur to be vegan) fairly than vegan lemon bars. That is nice whenever you’re serving somebody who’s skeptical of vegan baking.
(If you wish to, you possibly can swap out the canned coconut milk and use non-dairy milk as a substitute. I choose utilizing coconut milk however oat, cashew, or soy milk will work too.)
Most lemon bars are baked twice – first to prepare dinner the crust, and second to set the lemon filling. On this recipe you bake the crust when you make the filling in your range prime – like lemon meringue pie filling. Making the filling in your range prime saves time, ensures you do not over bake the crust, and prevents the lemon layer from soaking into the crust. The lemon layer units because the bars cool.
- The lemon bars will take up the dusting of powdered sugar as they sit. Cool the bars uncovered to forestall condensation from forming on prime and wait to mud them till you are able to serve them.
- For sharp, clear edges, chill the bars earlier than slicing and wipe your knife clear between every lower.
- Totally clear the lemons earlier than you zest them.
- When including the turmeric, much less is extra. The color will strengthen because the filling cooks.
These vegan lemon bars have a easy shortbread crust and a tangy-sweet lemon layer topped with a dusting of powdered sugar.
- Roughly 3 lemons, zested and juiced, divided
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- 1 cup (230 grams) vegan butter
- ½ cup (60 grams) powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 2 cups (240 grams) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (125 ml) recent lemon juice
- ¼ cup (35 grams) cornstarch
- ¾ cup (185 ml) canned coconut cream or full fats coconut milk*
- 1 cup (215 grams) sugar
- ½ cup (115 grams) vegan butter (like Earth Steadiness or Soften)
- 3 tbsp lemon zest
- ⅛ tsp salt
- Pinch turmeric
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Line a 9×13 baking dish with parchment paper.
- Cream collectively vegan butter, powdered sugar, lemon zest, and salt. Step by step combine within the flour to create a gentle dough. Don’t over combine.
- Press the dough into the underside of your baking dish.
- Bake the crust for 20-25 minutes or till golden. Put together the filling because the crust bakes.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk collectively the lemon juice and cornstarch to make a slurry. Ensure that there are not any lumps. Whisk within the coconut milk and add the sugar, vegan butter, lemon zest, and salt.
- Flip warmth to medium and stir till the sugar and butter melts. Whisk within the turmeric, including a small pinch at a time, till you obtain a light-weight yellow color.
- Prepare dinner the filling, whisking continuously. Ensure that to scrape the underside and sides of the pot to forestall lumps. Prepare dinner the filling till it’s thick and barely translucent (about quarter-hour complete). As soon as the filling begins to bubble, check it for doneness by stirring it and rapidly eradicating your whisk – as soon as the strains out of your whisk keep seen for 7-10 seconds after pulling it out, the filling is thick sufficient.
- Pour the lemon filling over the shortbread crust. Set bars apart to chill barely earlier than chilling, uncovered. As soon as chilled, slice lemon bars. Mud with powdered sugar simply previous to serving.
- *Canned coconut milk might be substituted with creamy non-dairy milks akin to oat, cashew, soy, (or mild canned coconut milk/coconut milk in a carton that is meant for consuming).
Key phrases: vegan lemon bars, vegan lemon squares