This vegan cherry strudel is a good looking, easy dessert with skinny crispy layers of dough, tart cherries, and a smooth vegan cream cheese that has notes of lemon and vanilla.
What I really like about this strudel essentially the most is that it’s not too candy. Solely three tablespoons of sugar are added to the cream cheese filling and a light-weight dusting of icing sugar on prime.
You’ll solely require ten substances to make this cherry strudel and it’s the proper dessert to whip up final minute!
A little bit background on the strudel
Strudel is a sort of pastry that’s both candy or savoury with layers of filo and a filling inside.
It’s a standard Austrian dessert that dates again to the seventeenth century first showing with an apple filling. It has since unfold all through Central Europe and many various variations of the strudel have been made.
It’s one in all my favorite desserts and I’m notably keen on the cherry and cheese one.
Earlier than changing into vegan, each time I might go to a European cake store or cafe, it might be my first alternative of dessert if it was on provide. If not cherry and cheese strudel, I might gravitate in the direction of a dessert like Kremšnita (Vanilla Custard & Cream Cake).
And I’ve been on a mission to veganise all my favourites. This strudel has been on my checklist for years!
Instruments you have to to make this vegan cherry strudel
It’s a fairly simple dessert to make, however you do want just a few fundamental instruments to get the very best outcomes. Right here’s what you’ll want:
- Meals processor or electrical hand mixer
- Silicone spatula
- Pastry brush
- Parchment paper
- Baking tray
- Small saucepan or bowl (for melting the vegan butter)
Some ideas for making a cherry strudel
There are some things to remember when making this vegan strudel. I’ve made this dessert just a few instances and have come throughout just a few issues that I’ve picked up alongside the way in which to achieve the very best consequence each single time.
- Be sure to pressure the cherries properly in order that your pastry doesn’t grow to be soggy.
- You should utilize both uncooked cane sugar or icing sugar (confectioners sugar) within the cream cheese filling. The latter will make the filling firmer.
- I wish to maintain mine within the fridge for just a few hours earlier than reducing in order that it slices with ease and you could get a agency filling. A small serrated knife is greatest.
- You should utilize cherries from a can, jar, and even frozen for this strudel. I haven’t personally tried it with recent cherries as a result of it gained’t provide the identical flavour profile. You wish to use bitter cherries for this recipe.
- The breadcrumbs assist to soak up any extra moisture that seeps out of the cherries whereas it bakes. You gained’t detect their presence within the ultimate dish.
- It’ll maintain within the fridge for 3-4 days. I personally suppose that it will get higher with age.
- Solely mud the highest of the strudel with icing sugar (confectioners sugar) earlier than serving, in any other case it’s going to seep into the filo pastry when refrigirated.
- You possibly can maintain this dessert at room temperature or within the fridge.
- Unbaked strudel will be ready a number of hours forward and refrigerated till you’re able to bake it.
I hope you like this vegan cherry strudel as a lot as I do!
I truthfully can’t inform the distinction between this and the non-vegan model. I’m actually proud of the way it turned out and my non-vegan associates have additionally given it their tick of approval!
My preliminary inspiration for after I began researching this recipe got here from this wonderful video.
Different European dessert recipes you’ll love:
- Easy Vegan Apple Burek (Posna Pita Sa Jabukama)
- Vegan Kremšnita (Vanilla Custard & Cream Cake)
- Vegan Tufahije Recipe (Bosnian Walnut Stuffed Poached Apples)
- Sweet Poppy Seed Pasta
- Baked Vegan Blueberry Cheesecake
- Simple Vegan Baklava
- 3-Ingredient Chestnut Puree With Whipped Coconut Cream (Kesten Pire)
In the event you do this recipe, let me know! I’d love so that you can go away a remark and score beneath. If you wish to go that additional mile, tag us on Instagram or share your photograph of the recipe on Pinterest.
Be part of the MV neighborhood
You’ll get a neat abstract of our content material every week, in addition to some behind the scenes of what’s occurring! See you on the within 😉