Broccoli slaw is a traditional summer season salad to serve at potlucks and barbeques. This vegan model retains all the texture, color, and contrasting flavours of the unique. It’s a straightforward crowd-pleaser that takes lower than 35 minutes to toss collectively.
A candy and tangy poppy seed dressing and a mix of broccoli florets and slaw are the bottom of the salad. Roasted sunflower seeds, dried cranberries, crispy tempeh bacon bits, and purple onion add flavourful pops of nuttiness, tart sweetness, smoky savouriness, and chew.
Making ready the poppy seed dressing takes simply 5 minutes in a blender. Blitz the onion with white wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, sugar, and salt. Slowly drizzle within the oil to make an emulsion and add a contact of vegan mayo for additional creaminess. End off the straightforward dressing with a spoonful of poppy seeds.
Including vegan bacon bits is optionally available. To make crispy vegan bacon bits, pan-fry the tempeh in a beneficiant quantity of vegetable oil. As soon as each side are browned, break the strips into bits and proceed cooking them till they’re crispy. As soon as the “bacon” bits are cooked, drain off the surplus oil. Utilizing vegan butter/margarine or too little oil makes for a softer texture. Lightlife’s Smoky Tempeh Strips are my go-to for vegan bacon bits and BLT’s.
I exploit a store-bought broccoli slaw combine as a result of it’s a lot simpler and extra handy than making it from scratch. It’s a vibrant mixture of shredded broccoli stems, purple cabbage, and carrots.
End up the vegan broccoli slaw by tossing the florets, slaw, cranberries, sunflower seeds, “bacon” bits, and onion collectively. Combine within the remaining poppy seed dressing. (Maximize flavour by massaging a number of the poppy seed dressing into the tops of the broccoli florets.) Simply earlier than serving, garnish the broccoli salad with an additional sprinkle of sunflower seeds and bacon bits.
- Should you gained’t be serving the salad to a bunch of individuals, don’t combine the dressing into the broccoli salad immediately. It’ll last more for those who costume particular person parts simply earlier than serving.
- Mellow the purple onion so it does not overpower the remainder of the salad.
- Soak the chopped onion in salt water and provides it a rinse earlier than including it to the broccoli salad.
- Swap out the dried cranberries. Add some raisins (golden sultanas are an awesome choice) or dried currants as an alternative. Some chopped apple is another choice that provides sweetness and crunch. Select a brilliant crisp, barely tart selection like Pink Woman or Honeycrisp.
- Swap out the sunflower seeds. Add some inexperienced pumpkin seeds or chopped almonds as an alternative. Select salted and roasted nuts/seeds for the most effective flavour and crunch!
- Use a pure sweetener within the poppy seed dressing. Pure sweeteners with caramel notes (like maple syrup or coconut sugar) compliments the Dijon mustard within the dressing superbly.
This vegan broccoli slaw salad is stuffed with texture and flavour. Broccoli florets, slaw combine, roasted sunflower seeds, dried cranberries, smoky tempeh bacon, purple onion, and a tangy-sweet poppy seed dressing.
Poppy Seed Dressing:
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup (50 grams) sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) finely chopped white or yellow onion
- 1 ½ tbsp (21.5 ml) Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) *coarse sea salt, extra to style
- ¾ cup (175 ml) canola oil (or different impartial vegetable oil)
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) vegan mayo
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) poppy seeds
Broccoli Crunch Salad:
- 3–4 slices (60 grams) tempeh bacon (optionally available)
- Canola oil, for pan-frying tempeh bacon (optionally available)
- 4 cups (340 grams) broccoli florets
- 4 cups (1 – 340 gram bag) broccoli slaw, packed
- ½ cup (70 grams) dried cranberries
- ½ cup (70 grams) roasted, salted sunflower seeds, plus extra for topping
- ⅓ cup (50 grams) chopped purple onion, soaked in salt water and rinsed (optionally available)
Poppy Seed Dressing:
- In a blender, add white wine vinegar, sugar, onion, Dijon mustard, and sea salt. Mix on excessive for 20 seconds. Flip pace all the way down to minimal and really slowly drizzle within the canola oil. After incorporating the canola oil, proceed mixing on low for an additional 30 seconds. Add vegan mayo and poppy seeds, and mix on minimal till combined effectively. Put aside.
Broccoli Crunch Salad:
- Optionally available: Warmth canola oil over medium warmth. As soon as the oil is scorching, add tempeh bacon strips. Prepare dinner tempeh strips till browned, flip, and prepare dinner the opposite aspect. Use a spatula or wood spoon to interrupt the tempeh into bits. Proceed cooking till the tempeh bits are crispy. Drain and put aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add ⅓ of the poppy seed dressing to the broccoli florets. Work the dressing into the tops of the florets.
- Including to the broccoli florets and dressing, combine within the broccoli slaw, tempeh bacon bits (reserve some for topping, if desired), sunflower seeds, purple onion, and dried cranberries.
- *Add sufficient of the remaining poppy seed dressing to coat the salad. Add extra dressing to style. Chill.
- After the salad has chilled, style and regulate seasoning earlier than serving. High with additional sunflower seeds and tempeh bacon bits.
*If utilizing high-quality sea salt, begin with 2 tsp and add extra to style.
*Gown the salad only a few hours previous to serving.
*If you’re not serving your entire salad without delay: Mix all the elements however don’t combine within the poppy seed dressing. Gown particular person parts of salad earlier than serving.
Key phrases: vegan, broccoli slaw, broccoli salad, vegan broccoli slaw, vegan broccoli salad