This straightforward and rustic sheet pan focaccia has two topping choices: jalapeños & (vegan) cheese or tomatoes, herbs & garlic.
Flatbreads like focaccia are nice for newbies! They use easy components and instruments, they do not require a lot lively cooking time, they’re extremely customizable, and it is easy to inform after they’re cooked by way of.
Unfold your selection of toppings (minus olive oil and sea salt) over the floor of the dough. Then, work the toppings into the dough by dimpling it rapidly and totally utilizing all of your fingers (such as you’re a really passionate however completely terrible pianist). Prime the floor with a beneficiant drizzle olive oil and a dusting of sea salt earlier than baking it till it’s golden-brown.
Jalapeño & Cheese
Pickled jalapeños, vegan cheese, cashew Parmesan (non-compulsory), garlic, sea salt, and olive oil.
I exploit “tamed” pickled jalapeños. They’re flavourful however delicate so you should use a number of them with out their warmth turning into overwhelming. When you use sizzling pickled jalapeños (and also you’re delicate to spicy meals) you may chop them up and use much less of them.
Use your favorite vegan cheese shreds. I like Daiya’s Cheddar Model Shreds (the Unique form) as a result of they soften rapidly and so they’re broadly obtainable.
Tomato, Herb & Garlic
Cherry or grape tomatoes, sliced garlic, contemporary or dried herbs, sea salt, and olive oil.
You should utilize contemporary or dried herbs, relying on what you could have. I used a dry Italian herb mix of rosemary, thyme, oregano, basil, marjoram, and thyme. Bruise hardy herbs like rosemary to launch their flavourful oils earlier than including them.
Different topping concepts and variations
We even have a beautiful potato & rosemary focaccia recipe on the weblog. It’s a tidier trying model made in an 8” forged iron skillet.
You may make focaccia as easy or elaborate as you want. Different topping concepts are: olives, marinated artichoke hearts, roasted purple peppers, shallots, sliced potato, roasted garlic, vegan pesto, and caramelized onions. Be happy to be artistic or strive a number of flavour mixtures on divided sections.
This focaccia dough is ideal for do-it-yourself pizzas, we used it in our Mediterranean pesto pizza recipe. For a thick pizza crust that is eerily much like Pizza Hut’s pan crust, liberally oil your pan/parchment paper earlier than assembling and baking.
Dice leftover (ideally barely stale) focaccia. Add vegan butter or olive oil to a sizzling skillet. If desired, add some Italian herbs, minced garlic and/or garlic and onion powder. Add the cubed focaccia and prepare dinner, stirring typically, till the croutons are golden brown and crisp. Use the croutons in a salad like our vegan crispy chick’n Caesar.
You’ll be able to knead focaccia by hand or in a stand-mixer. I choose utilizing a stand-mixer for bread as a result of it’s a lot simpler to maintain the dough moist. If you knead by hand you utilize extra flour to stop the dough from sticking to your fingers and countertop. Begin by including ¾ the quantity of flour after which add extra, utilizing the minimal quantity required to maintain the dough workable.
Bread recipes typically begin with a proofing step (including yeast and sugar to heat water and ready for the yeast to froth and rise to the floor). It exams yeast to ensure it is lively. Proof your yeast for those who’re undecided how contemporary it’s to ensure your dough will rise. When you’re utilizing contemporary yeast you may skip this step.
Simple sheet pan focaccia with two totally different topping mixtures: Jalapeño & (Vegan) Cheese and Tomato, Herb & Garlic.
- 1½ cups (375 ml) heat water
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) lively dry yeast
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 4½ cups (540 grams) all-purpose flour
- Olive oil, as wanted
Jalapeño & Cheese Possibility (1 full sheet pan)
- 1 cup (140 grams) pickled (tamed) jalapeños
- ½ cup (45 grams) vegan cheese shreds (I used Daiya)
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- Elective: vegan Parmesan, to style
- Sea salt, to style
Tomato & Herb Possibility (1 full sheet pan)
- 1 cup (160 grams) halved grape or cherry tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- Contemporary or dried Italian herbs (oregano, thyme, rosemary, basil, and so forth.), to style
- Sea salt, to style
- In a big bowl or stand mixer, mix heat water, sugar, yeast, salt, and ¾ of the all-purpose flour. Combine to mix. Knead (by hand or in a stand mixer with a dough hook) till the dough is clean and elastic (about 10 minutes), add remaining flour as wanted to maintain the dough from sticking.
- Coat the dough ball with olive oil and place it in a big bowl lined with a moist kitchen towel. Depart to rise till doubled in dimension (about 1 hour).
- Line a big baking sheet with parchment paper. Drizzle the parchment paper with olive oil.
- After the dough doubles in dimension, punch it down. Flatten and stretch the dough to suit your sheet pan. Cowl evenly with a sheet of plastic wrap and let rise till doubled in dimension (about 40 minutes).
- Whereas the dough rises, preheat your oven to 450°F (230°C) and put together toppings.
- After the dough has risen, add your selection of toppings. Use your fingers to totally dimple the dough, urgent the toppings into the bread. Drizzle with olive oil and season with sea salt.
- Bake focaccia till golden brown, about 25-Half-hour.
Ingredient quantities for toppings choices are for 1 full sheet pan. If you wish to make ½ and ½, half the ingredient quantities.
Key phrases: focaccia, vegan focaccia, jalapeño cheese focaccia, tomato herb focaccia